Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11th





On this day ten years ago I was in the 3rd grade. I had no clue what had happened because I was on my way to school and just getting there because my school started at 8:50am. My school did a lot of things to help like collecting money everyday for about a month to send to New York for the people effected. Our principle, Mr. Love, would put on a patriotic hat and pull around a red wagon that was decorated to collect the money.We also put on a program and I remember we say I'm Proud to be an American and did a routine with steamers that were read white and blue.

In 2006 I went to New York with my family and we visited Ground Zero. Back then even about 5 years after, where the towers were was still a bunch of rubble. While we were there we went to the Statue of Liberty and the day we went there was suppose to be another attack in New York from London but the terrorist were caught. When we were trying to enter the island we had to go through full body detectors that puffed air up to detect if we had explosives and when we left we saw a bunch of SWAT officers.
This past May I went again to New York we visited Ground Zero again and it was under construction. They were still finishing up building the memorial and you could not see the beauty that it turned out to be.While we were there I was eating cheese cake and it was announced that Saddam Hussein was killed. We were very overcautious for the rest of the trip.

Last September I went to Washington DC and visited the Arlington Cemetery and went to the Pentagon and sat at the memorial for the people who died on the plane crash and in the pentagon.

To me it is crazy to think that i had not American Girl dolls at this time. That Christmas i was given Samantha and then January 21, 2002 my family had are own disaster when our house burn on fire. 

Today I have been watching MSNBC on their coverage of what events are happening today. What I really found amazing was that they played the actual coverage from September 11, 2001.

Yesterday I helped a group of students put 3,000 flags in the front mall in front of the University Tower. We worked from 5:30am-9:45am putting them in. My legs and hand have hurt all day yesterday and today. Later on tonight I will help take them down. It made me fell good to do it.

2 comments:

Becca said...

I was only 4 when it happened. That was such a nice thing for you to do at your local mall! I just found your blog and its AMAZING!
Becca
P.S. if your interested my blog is www.becca-american-girl.blogspot.com

agdanceprincess1993 said...

Thanks for commenting! It was actually done at my school. We call the big patch of grass the "mall"